Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Volunteer


Our front deck was set on top of what was once a garden. Virginia Creeper pokes through and I am always pulling it up and out. Every year, a single columbine pops up from under the deck at the top corner. The first year, I left it so I could discover that it bloomed a clear yellow that went perfectly with the yellow and purple that I already had. Each year since, I have moved the yellow columbine out into the bird sanctuary when it pops up. Last year, I was convinced I had gotten all of the root, despite the fact that digging under a deck that is ground level is not easy!

So I was surprised to see it pop up again this year. I was also slow to deal with it. Which meant it bloomed. Bigger surprise was that it isn't yellow! It is a columbine I have not seen before, blooming white with a very faint hint of purple. I love it and it makes me want to lift up the deck to see if anything else is surviving under there.

No comments:

Post a Comment