Monday, July 28, 2014

Leading the Eye


I love the long view in any garden. Places where I can look through and see everything beyond the garden. In some places in our yard, this occurs naturally. We have one at the back of the yard, as you come around to the secret garden on the road. The opening to the Campground from the secret garden creates a long view of both of those yards. How much you can see depends on where you are standing but always, your eye is drawn to that opening in the bush. Although I am years from planting here, we named it the secret garden because when I look at it, I see all the flowers. I know just where everything is going to be and am pretty sure I know what the gate will look like.

Because our yard is mostly flat, we usually have to create these long views. Looking through the roses at the slide is one place we have done that successfully. The plants here are all mature, the view is set.


Our next manufactured long view will be out where the sun circles are. The roses planted to the sides they face each other are both climbing roses. Miles and I are going to build a willow arbour here for them to climb. Coupled with the lilies, dogwood and ninebark, the rose arbour will create a view that draws the eye down the longest part of the yard, no matter which side you are looking from.




Although it doesn't look quite like that now, in my head, I see it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment