Saturday, July 26, 2014

Plant Pairs

I try a lot of plant pairs because they are easy to manage in my head. They don't require much thought and if they work out... the garden seems to come together based on them. This makes overall planning less thought too. I am not really the most thinking gardener. The rest of my life requires too much thinking and I don't like gardening to feel like work. Plant as you go is my entire gardening strategy. That is why it is such a delight when pairs work out.


I have two pairs in the front yard, one old and one new that work perfectly together. At the front walk, for years now, we are welcomed by tricolour sedum paired with hens and chicks sedum. The tricolour rises up and blooms above the hens and chicks which are well established but slow to spread.

Last year, along the lawn edge, I planted a new pair. Speedwell and Summer Phlox look great together. Even better than I hoped. And while it may seem odd that plants this tall were planted along the lawn edge, it is because from my view out the windows, the lawn edge is the back of the garden.

I am planting honeysuckle with delphinium this year. It will be my new plant pair next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment