Friday, July 11, 2014

Shrubs

Shrubs are something I don't know much about and definitely learn as I go. I also don't know quite what to do with them in my landscape because I hate having plants that are tall enough to block my view at the front of the sun gardens. Most shrubs need sun.

What happens then, is that the shrubs all get put together at the back of the garden where the only view it is blocking it of a field. I have been trying to resist this urge.

I buy shrubs because they either have stunning foliage or they flower. Some have both - stunning foliage and great flowers!

Things like Dogwood 'Prairie Fire' and Ninebark 'Centerglow' are slow to grow to mature size in my garden. But I know what the reward will be when I look around at all the mature shrubs that were here when we moved in.

Spirea 'Snowmound' is one that was here before us. There are two of them in the Bird Sanctuary that both could use more sun.

Peony and Saskatoon were also both here. The Saskatoon has the extra bonus of amazingly good berries and, of course, Peony have extremely scented flowers that make dealing with the ants all worthwhile!

I have become a die-hard fan of shrubs and find myself reading more every summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment