Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Its been a good year for iris here!

Iris has been a shining star in my garden forever but this was a banner year! Even with several patches not blooming at all, I had new varieties show up with 'Baby Blessed' and Nova's unknown Little Blue. Since I added so many new varieties last year, I expected that not all would bloom but the patches are big and healthy so no reason to expect they won't next year.

Several of my older unknown varieties were identified this year which was very exciting. Rae Street Blue and Whites are an MTB iris, 'Mrs. Andrist', German Purple are iris, germanica 'Blue Boy', the Double Blues are another MTB iris, 'Twilight Calm' and my MTB bright yellow is, 'Bumblebee Deelite'. I can't remember a year where so many unknowns were identified and 'Mrs. Andrist' was my first iris, planted long ago in my city garden. I have moved her everywhere with me and shared her with almost every gardener I know. So nice to know her name :)






The weather has not wanted to cooperate with the iris. It has been an unusually wet year. The rain has not stopped. Finding time to weed and mow when it is dry has been difficult. There is only one patch of 'Bumblebee Deelite' in my garden and the rain beat it up a bit. I got great photographs of the buds but the flowers opened in the rain, were beat down by the rain and photographs were less than perfect. The bright side is that there is a record, they did bloom here this year, the patch is healthy... I will see them again next year.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment