Tuesday, July 8, 2014

First of the Clematis

I've certainly had my challenges growing clematis over the years, mostly to do with giving them enough room to stretch out - something to grab onto in the garden. What works for one, does not work for all.

This one, which I think is 'The President', is always the first to bloom right in the middle of a patch of early yellow daylilies. Its flowers are huge and start out dark purple, lightening up as you see below.

clematis 'The President'

The second to bloom is 'Blue Ice', also with big flowers. I've had this one the longest. It grows new from the ground each year, has outgrown its trellis and twists in among the tall phlox stems. The first blooms have this pale purple tint, with later blooms more white.

clematis 'Blue Ice'

I'm anticipating more clematis blooms during the next couple of weeks - all of the rest are full of buds!

No comments:

Post a Comment