Thursday, October 28, 2010

Self-seeding Perennials


Self-seeding perennials can be a little scary in a small urban garden.  I find small sprouts of new plants in the oddest places.  This is a spotted lungwort commonly called 'Bethlehem sage' or 'Mary and Joseph'.  It was one inheritance from my mother's garden when she moved into an apartment.  Twice I've thought it was gone for good, only to find a sprout coming up somewhere different.  Since I have lots of shady spots and this lungwort is more like a ground cover, I can handle a few extra plants every year.  Other plants that have survived my methodical spring weeding are brunnera, Jacob's ladder, donkeytail spurge and campanula.  The two that give me the most trouble are my tall blue lobelia and my alpine columbine.  While I leave lots, I still have to yank or move lots too.  They're both worth that extra effort though.

1 comment: