Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gladiolus - Lift in Fall

This is the first time I have lifted glads. This is what came out of the ground. According to what I am reading, I am supposed to break off the old corm at the bottom and store the new corm that sits on top of it. Somehow breaking off the root part seems so wrong. I suppose I buy glads without root so it does makes sense. Still feels wrong though. I think because I spend so much time trying to save and preserve plant root in hopes a plant will come back from it, I am reluctant to break root off and just toss it away. I guess I'll see how I feel once they are dry. Maybe it will fall off on its' own by then and spare me the guilt.

1 comment:

  1. I obviously didn't feel any guilt about it because I didn't even know what you were describing till I saw your picture. After they dry out, I just pull off everything till I get a nice clean bulb. Just make sure to leave some 'clothes' on it!

    ReplyDelete