Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Season Ends

This is what Summer and I stepped out the front door to find this morning. Worse still, this was the best weather of the day. Winter arrived in my garden today in the form of a storm bordering on a blizzard and the gardening season officially ended. The only thing we could do here now is plant lilies and that is only if the holes are already dug. I wouldn't want to dig in this. Since I have no lily holes dug, all that is left to do for me is to settle inside and look back on my 2010 season. I will spend more of the year looking back or looking ahead than I will actually garden. Yes, the first snow day tends to make me a little melancholy. Good news is, I always recover quickly.

3 comments:

  1. I heard on the news that you were having stormy weather. We are mild and rainy. I think Kelly is actually hoping for frost so he can start digging glads and dahlia. I've discovered that several moves I had planned for this fall depend on moving a patch of monkshood that is still blooming like crazy - they will wait till spring now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would sacrifice the Monkshood blooms left this year for the display I was looking for next year. Once the garden is mature with all different plants blooming at different times, it is hard to find a time to do those "Domino Effect" moves without it being the wrong time for something. If you do it now, you will be happy you did come next season. I can't count the number of times I have said in the Spring and Summer...."I am so glad I got blah blah blah done last Fall!" Besides, how much would you miss those Monkshood blooms between now and your next frost? Better a little disappointed in late Fall than any point in Spring or Summer... and it will give Kelly something to do while waiting to lift Dahlia tubers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are right... guess I should 'map out' out those 'domino' moves. Kelly will be glad to have something to do.

    ReplyDelete