Monday, August 30, 2010

Plant Pair - Laura and Nora


It was undoubtedly one of my best planting decisions when I put Nora Leigh next to Laura.
Plants:  Both are phlox paniculata, 'Laura' (on the left) and 'Nora Leigh'.  Commonly called tall phlox or garden phlox, these both grow to about 3 feet.  Each stalk wears a big bunch of small flat blooms on top, like a shower cap.
Conditions:  Tall phlox thrives in full sun but will grow in partial shade.  I've grown it in average garden soil and it does fine for me.
The down side:  Powdery mildew, but it doesn't affect either of these as much as some others.
Why I like them:  Where do I start?  The heavenly scent overcomes me whenever I walk out back in August - I have 13 varieties.  The masses of bright colours bloom over a long period.  These two in particular provide a nice contrast side-by-side.  Some phlox are like chameleon, changing colour depending on time of day and temperature.  Laura changes from bright fushia to mauve to dark purple.  Nora Leigh's blooms are a little smaller but she makes up for it with striking green and cream foliage.

1 comment:

  1. Provided we labeled everything right, this pair should be repeated in my garden next year beside Marilyn's rose.

    ReplyDelete