Monday, August 9, 2010

More About Garden Planning

A follow-up to Danielle's note on planning because I love planning too!  I recently read a book by Janice Wells and she says this:
"I find designing a dream garden is a lot of fun.  Even if I never stick to it, I'll feel a bit more relaxed because I feel organized and in control, plus there's a comfort in knowing I'm a wonderful gardener on paper."
She goes on to say:
"Making a long-term plan for your garden, but not feeling compelled to follow it, is more serious advice than it sounds.  A garden is a work in progress.  Understanding that I can change my mind a dozen times doesn't contradict the fact that having a plan takes away indecision."
I agree with her philosophy 100%.  Here is a garden plan for the backyard that I created 5 years ago:

Not one of those shrubs pictured are anywhere close to this garden - and most I don't even own.  However, the shape is dead on.  We created a 2' grid in the yard with string and sticks, then used old hose to mark the edge of the new garden, hammered into the hard clay ground.  My husband dug all that hard clay down 2' deep, filled it with a load of garden soil and here's what it looks like now.  It's so much better than my plan but couldn't have happened without it.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that map eventhough I can't imagine your yard without that garden bed. I can't remember it before, must be selective memory ;)

    I still have the map you drew me the first year you were back to visit and it has radically changed as well. One winter weeekend, we should unearth our old maps and have some fun with the scanner.

    ReplyDelete