Monday, August 16, 2010

Blast from the Past

What fun looking through old garden photographs turned out to be! This is the Nursery Entry in 2005 which would have been the second year for the Nursery. If you stand in this spot today, all you would see is Lamium and Phlox. There is Golden Creeping Jenny there still but unless the Lamium has been recently pulled, you wouldn't see it. It has been a couple of weeks since I pulled Lamium here, opting instead to spend my garden time planting. I know the Creeping Jenny will survive and plan to move more of it in the next couple of weeks so will unearth it again then. The Allium above is the same patch that I took to Linda this year so it made it through the aggressive progression of the Lamium as well. The Nursery is an overgrown mass of plants today and is not recognizable in any of the 2005 photographs. Although I miss having it so neat and orderly, I would not trade that for all the plants I have harvested from the overgrowth and I will spend a good part of this Fall moving more. As an added bonus, my trip down memory lane produced white Columbine and pink Honeysuckle that I had completely forgotten. I am not sure where the white Columbine went but the photo prompted me to go and pull Lamium all around the spot it was originally growing. I was rewarded with three seedlings, one of which is large enough to possibly bloom next year. The white Columbine has a fringed leaf unlike any of my others so I am certain the seedlings are white. It was nice to have garden surprises this late in the season when I had thought the only surprises left were discovering what the new dahlia look like when they open. I wonder what I will find when I open the 2006 folder.

2 comments:

  1. Old photos remind me of how far we've come with the garden. My lot isn't large enough for me to lose track of plants ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lost plants have more to do with my brain than my lot size... but thank you for trying. I am sticking to the excuse that anything lost track of, I didn't plant. It was here before me and we were probably never properly introduced. Hard to remember strangers.

    ReplyDelete