Thursday, June 6, 2013

One for the 'Not Sure' Column

I love Solomon's Seal. At least I do when it is up this close. When it is twisted stems leaning on the garden ladder, I am not so sure. I actually think that while beautiful up close, Solomon's Seal is not very attractive from a distance.

Perhaps that will change as it grows into patches. Patches might be nice. I am not sure how long it will take for these spindly plants to turn into patches and for now, I am grateful that they return every year. Really, they shouldn't.

I started with two small divisions from Linda's garden and in just a few years, I have 4 stalks. It will likely take less time for them to turn into patches than it will for me to decide to dig them so we shall see how I feel about patches... in about 20 years!

2 comments:

  1. Hey we started with 2 or 3 stalks dug up from the neighbour's yard. After the first couple of years they started multiplying faster so now we have 4 or 5 patches with say 30 stalks each. You're right, they're much better in patches. Funny how we're ahead on some things but not others because our Solomon's Seal is blooming like this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if mine will ever get as tall as yours but I hope your right about the multiplying speed.

    ReplyDelete