Friday, September 3, 2010

Waiting for the Storm


We are expecting Hurricane Earl to hit Nova Scotia tomorrow morning so I headed out to stake my glads this morning.  Perhaps it's optimistic to think that stakes will actually make a difference!  I've also been out taking pictures because I'm sure the scene will look quite different by Sunday.  It's a little sad to think that I may not even see many of my glads and dahlias that are yet to bloom.  Having seen the effect of Hurricane Juan, I'm trying to be realistic.

There are a few things you can do to help prepare your garden for a storm:
  • wrap up and put all your hoses inside
  • move anything loose inside, such as ornaments, empty pots, watering cans, buckets, tools, garbage cans, green bins, patio furniture, BBQ
  • take down and store portable gazebos, tents, awnings
  • move potted plants to a sheltered area or inside
  • stake anything tall
Things blowing around can do a lot of damage in your garden!

1 comment:

  1. I glad you are preparing but I am still crossing my fingers that it will miss you!

    ReplyDelete