Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Oops, there is another one - Dahlia 'Ferncliff Midnight'

Guess I jumped the gun on the last Dahlia in my side of our Dahlia story for this year. This 'Ferncliff Midnight' was a slightly open bud when I cut it in an attempt to save it from our first frost. Since then, it managed to open inside the house for me. On a 5' plant, these 7" informal decorative flowers sit very upright. Described as reddish-purple, they are bright in the sunlight and darker in low light. Either shade is stunning and overall 'Ferncliff Midnight' is a lovely addition to a pink or an orange garden with it's purple tones setting off either colour pallette. It looks just as good beside 'Gerrie Hoek' as it does beside 'Ferncliff Fuego' but I think next year, I will plant it with 'Wine & Roses'.

1 comment: