Thursday, September 9, 2010

New Gardens

When we moved here, there was not much of a garden. There were the Boardwalk Garden beds which were shade gardens jam packed with full sun plants. It was pretty and built on minimal space because a gardener did not live here then. The first year, we didn't make many changes. I put in the Nursery for all my plants brought from my city garden and we built the firepit which is a 25' circular patio of pavers with a 42" firepit in the centre. Our continued work the next year was all in the back yard where we started. Last year, I managed to get enough done in the back that I felt I could start the front. This garden is new at the front of the house. It is my orange garden. I can tell it is new because I have to weed it constantly which is something that goes away after I have been gardening a bed for awhile. My friends can tell it is new because it has gravel mulch which I would never use and will, eventually, remove. Although this garden is not finished yet, I was very happy many times this season that I managed to get it half done so far. The addition of flowers in my dining room window view and out the sunroom window has been well worth the effort. The number of times that flower view has made me pause to appreciate it as I moved through the house made me decide to deal with the view out that same window in the other direction. I have taken down the bushline along the sidewalk and we are considering moving the chiminea seating area closer to the deck before I start to build the garden there. The only plants left are 3 or 4 Juniper that were inside the bush. I will very likely move them out further because I want flowers up at the house and I can't stand the smell of Juniper, which to me, smells like ammonia. The first time I noticed that, I spent 2 weeks trying to find where in my garden my cat had decided was a litter box until I realized it was the Juniper off the front step I was smelling! I love the excitement of a new garden. I already know which Dahlia will be planted in these two beds next year and which of my perennials will be divided to plant here. The only question left is can I find an orange rose I love.

1 comment:

  1. now see I had never noticed that juniper has any smell. This is turning out awesome!

    ReplyDelete