Sunday, October 9, 2011

Phlox Paniculata

This will be the third year that Linda has sent me root divisions of her several phlox paniculata varieties. The paniculata phlox varieties are not one of my garden success stories. They seem to winter kill more often than not and they take forever to form anything that could be called a patch in my garden. The last two years, I have planted the root divisions where I would want them to permanently be situated in the garden. Last year, 'Pink Flame' and 'David' survived. With our planned move (that did not happen), the 'Pink Flame' ended up in Judys' garden. 'David' was a single stalk that was full of flowers at our sun gardens entry. This year, I have decided to change my phlox strategy. Since they remain skinny and thin for at least 2 years, I decided to plant them all together near where 'David' survived the last winter. I can protect them here, they take up very little space and grow tall so if I can keep them alive here long enough to form small patches, I will move them out to a more lasting location. I am calling it the phlox nursery and keeping my fingers crossed. Sometimes my garden can be a crap shoot... and sometimes I get lucky with that!

2 comments:

  1. And when you get these going, I'll send you more. Eventually you should get Laura and Nora Leigh side-by-side - they complement each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they will all be side-by-side here so I will make sure when I move them, the two of them stay together. All I really hope for now is that they grow. LOL!

    ReplyDelete