Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Flip Side

I'm a big fan of hydrangea.  If I had more space, I'd have more of them.  As it is, I'm stretching it to have 8 of them on my city lot.  Good thing they don't mind a little shade.  My 'Bluebird' hydrangea has been around a few years now, bought in my first hydrangea shopping spree.  It's a lacecap and the little flowers are pretty pale blue in the summer.  As the season goes on, one by one, all the little flowers flip over and turn rosy pink.  It's interesting to watch the progression into the fall.  Now at the end of October, it's like the hydrangea has flipped its jacket inside out - I guess you could say its reversible ;)

Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Bird' in fall

1 comment:

  1. The flowers look like they are huddling together to protect themselves from the cold. Maybe it is related to penguins ;)

    ReplyDelete