Thursday, May 16, 2013

Why I will never be a Master Gardener


The first blooms of the season for me were these 'Chopin' Kaufmania botanical tulips. At least that is what is says on my receipt. When I look up 'Chopin' tulips, which I did just the other day, I find a lot of information about 'Chopin' gregii tulips. I also found Kaufmania spelled more than 6 different ways. I am not sure of the difference between gregii and Kaufmania and it turns out, I don't care!
Apparently, Kaufmania means they are a waterlily tulip, referring to the flower shape. Botanical means they are small. While the flowers are not huge, they are smaller than a typical tulip but are larger than any of my other botanicals. And they are definitely short and early.
 
I went looking for information out of interest. I found a lot of information. But here is the crux... I found the more complicated the answer became, the less interested I was in finding it out!
 
I am a gardener. All I need to know is colour, height and requirements to fit it into my garden plan. Anything more is extra information my brain is unwilling to hold. Bottom line, I absolutely love my 'Chopin' no matter what they technically are.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment