Monday, May 6, 2013

Peek-a-boo

The season has finally started for me and it started fast! I was still breaking up snow banks and spreading them into the sun today at the back deck. Just feet away in the lower boardwalk garden, the tarda are already poking through the leaf cover. Tarda are the most reliable mini-botanical tulips I have ever grown and they are always the first thing to poke through, usually the first thing to bloom. Some years, the crocus beat them to the punch. I haven't seen any crocus yet this year which might be a bad sign. Much to my delight, the Zurel are still a huge patch, despite dividing them three years in a row. And then there are all the unknown (until they bloom) tulips that seem to be everywhere! I spent the whole day out cleaning up the yard and came upon several interesting developments in my garden. The most perplexing of them was the pile of tulips bulbs I found sitting on top of the ground at the end of the boardwalk. Not quite under the dogwood but close enough to get lost if the dogwood were in leaf. Not sure how they got there. My best guess would be that a dog (yes, it would likely be that dog) dug them up or a squirrel moved them. I know that I did not just toss a handful of tulips bulbs on the ground as I walked by! I could tell that two of them were tarda so I planted them together in a spot where I thought a little patch of tarda would look good. It will only take them a year or two at most to become that little patch. The rest of them got planted in the cement pothead at the drive corner. Since they all had root and a shoot, I expect they will grow there just fine this year and once I know what they are, I can pop them in the garden somewhere. If I can resist the temptation to plant them for that long. If I can't resist, they will get plopped in a clump all together and I will cross my fingers that they are not clashing varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment