Saturday, May 18, 2013

Narcissus 'Tahiti' was next

'Tahiti' is the first blooming and most reliable of my narcissus. Typically, it blooms after the 'tarda' mini botanical tulips start but this year they beat the 'tarda' out. 'Tahiti' was blooming a full three days before the 'tarda' opened.

I have other daffodil that are in bud and just coming up but these are the only ones that are blooming and this picture was taken today - almost a full week after they first opened wide.

Narcissus are moody in my garden. Sometimes they show up, other times they do not. I never know what to expect. A full, healthy, beautiful patch one year will completely disappear only to reappear a few years later as the tiny bulblets in the ground get big enough to produce a plant. That element of surprise can be wonderful or frustrating depending on the day.

Four years in, it seems I don't have to worry about that with 'Tahiti'. They are the first and only daffodil patch in my garden that consistently comes up, looks great and gets bigger. This year, the patch is large enough that I can divide it and start spreading these beauties throughout the garden. I love bulbs!


1 comment: