Saturday, June 25, 2011

Columbine

I love Columbine. I have not seen one I did not like be it single, double or nodding granny varieties like 'Nora Barlow'. Yet, I still have my favourite and this purple and yellow is it. I can't remember where it came from or what it is called. I have tried to divide and share it several times but divisions have had no success. I have also shared seed and so far no success. (Although I do wonder if three years from now Linda will have a garden overrun with them!) So eventhough it is my largest Columbine, I have decided not to risk another division. I have dug and potted up the entire plant. It barely fit in a pot and eventhough blooming when dug, it did not miss a beat, still full of flowers and standing tall.

Every year since we moved here, there has been a small Columbine baby that grows peeking out from under our front deck. Each year, I carefully dig it out and put it in the garden. The result is 4 small Columbine that have finally matured to flowering size. So this year it was a happy accident to find that this new Columbine is yellow with a very slight pink edge and looks fantastic together with my purple and yellow. Obviously, I had to pot up one of these to take as well. Seems like deciding to take just a few special things has not reduced the number of plants I have to haul!

No comments:

Post a Comment