Saturday, January 21, 2012

Creating Winter Garden Fun!

For 3 years now, I have been thinking of starting a local charity to promote a connection to nature in the Valley I live in. The plan is for garden based programs such as sharing fall harvest, seasonal clothing exchanges and free sharing workshops in home composting, growing a kitchen garden and organic garden methods for flowers and vegetables. The primary financial function of this charity would be to help the pets that live here too. We have been inundated with strays in medical need since we arrived and last year was the first that our pets did not grow in number. That was only because we had to say 'no'. We are full! Each time we said no, I had a little heart tug, knowing that for at least one of them, no from us meant euthanization. Both because of that tug and because it is winter here and no garden to play in, this year, I have started flushing out my ideas and put together the start of a website at naturalconnection.ca. There is a lot left to do and the hardest part, getting young people involved, is yet to come. I figure it is a first step... getting the ideas out of my head and putting them out there for others to think about as well. There are a lot more people needed to get it off the ground so the whole project may never come to fruition but there are a few people asking me about it, it has been fun so far and isn't that the whole point of something you do for free?

No comments:

Post a Comment