Saturday, August 13, 2011

Patience Rewarded

Isn't she pretty? Three years ago, I planted 6 bareroot poppy. Three were 'Royal Chocolate Distinction' and three were 'Miss. Piggy'. They were planted together and I am sure would have looked awesome blooming side by side. It was the last year that I planted bareroot plants because even as I dug and buried, I had very little hope I would see plants. They were really such pathetic little things, as were the coneflower roots that I planted the same year. In all, I planted 15 bareroot plants that year and I have yet to see any of them with this single exception. She popped up out of nowhere this year and I immediately cleared everything away from around her in an effort to save her. Although I would say she was well worth the wait, I am still not planting anything bareroot. It was a long wait. My next thought, of course, is that I hope her seed is not sterile...look for the update next season.

2 comments:

  1. I planted a potted Miss Piggy Poppy 3 years ago and it was only last summer that if finally bloomed; it was magnificent and the biggest poppy head I've ever grown. There were two poppy heads only so I'm hoping it survived to bloom again this summer. My issue is I can't find them anymore in the garden centres, even though they seem to take several years to bloom they are spectacular in colour and form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the bare root plants from a catalogue. She was stunning but not worth the wait for me. My season is too short to wait years for anything and then there is always winter kill...

      Hope you come by another along the way.

      Delete