Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hibernating Green Thumb

My green thumb hibernates. I have no success with indoor plants. I have tried many, only to be forced to admit that my gardening enthusiasm does not extend to indoor plants. I know this is why I never have any success. I can rattle off requirements for sun, water, location and staking for a good number of garden perennials as well as a smaller number of annuals without much effort. Yet inside, I have had this Amaryllis for over a year now and although it is getting leaves, I do not have a lot of hope for blooms. I think I was supposed to feed it in March or May. For some reason, an M month is ringing bells. I fed it a couple of weeks ago, in an N month and only after it sent leaves up. If it blooms, it won't be on my account. It would he a happy accident though so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I plan to move no houseplants. If the Amaryllis bloom, they will become Christmas gifts for others. I am going to keep my growing activities confined to the garden where my real interest is. As it turns out, I like hibernating through the winter break as much as the plants do.

No comments:

Post a Comment