Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Houseplants


I don't do houseplants. I have tried many times and for a few years in a row I was having quite good success. But it was work. I never think of my garden as work and when plants become work, their days are numbered in my house. There are a lot of reasons houseplants don't do well here. Plants don't like forced air heat and in our weather our heat runs 24/7. Plants need water and have no voice to remind me of that. Unlike dogs and cats, a plant won't walk by and poke me when the dish is empty. Plants need to be fed and unlike in my garden, where I can just keep digging in the compost I make, I have to think about what to feed houseplants. Knowing all this, I still try a houseplant once a year or so. This year's victim is the little aloe above. What is going to be the most surprising part of this story, I am sure, is that this little guy lived more than 6 months in a plastic bag with several siblings and absolutely no soil or water on Judy's breakfast table. Now that I have "rescued" it from that, planted it, remembered to water it for at least 6 weeks now and given it some sunlight... it should die before spring. Houseplants like me less than I like them.

1 comment:

  1. The only houseplants that work for me are ones that can survive a drought. I have 3 that have been here for more than 4 years and that has to be a record for me.

    ReplyDelete