Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Long Time Coming

When we first moved here, I planted this Iris from my garden in the city in this spot. It sits just above and behind the Catmint, right under the flagpole off the back deck. Three seasons ago, the tree branches from above had grown to the point where this spot became mostly shade. The Iris has struggled to bloom here ever since. Add to that the fact that Iris really need to be divided every few years to put on its' best display and this spot was well overdue for a change. The Iris is being relocated to I don't know where yet but this Dwarf Burning Bush should be very happy here and I already like the look eventhough it has the strangest little flowers. I can't wait to see it turn bright red. If I believe the tag and my yardstick, it should not get tall enough to block my view of the sun gardens from the deck. Theoretically anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! This burning bush is so different from what we call a burning bush here, and explains why I had a hard time researching them when we moved here. What we call a burning bush here actually belongs to the euonymous family.
    >Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a euonymus, Linda. Euonymus nanus 'Turkestanicus'. It only gets about 3 feet and the branches look like really spaced out pine needles (meaning spaced far apart from each other) but they are not pokey and they have really strange little flowers. The picture on the tag shows a much fuller bush than this is but mine seems to get longer braches rather than getting more of them. We'll see, it is only year 2 for this and it spent most of this year in a pot. Something different may happen now it is in the ground.

    ReplyDelete